During World War II when schools were allowed to reopen, a McKinley Annex was started in Kaimuki Intermediate School for sophomores and juniors residing in that part of the city. These students went to school in the afternoon from 12:20 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. In September 1943, the McKinley Annex became Kaimuki High School. The student government was established along democratic lines. A constitution written cooperatively was adopted by the student body in 1944.
In 1947, plans for Kaimuki High School's new location were initiated and construction began.
By September 1950, a total of 45 standard sized classrooms, three shops , and a cafeteria were available for use. The administration building was occupied in October 1950. Kelly Green and Light Gold were adopted as our school colors in 1950. In 1951, 1952, and 1953, additional buildings to house business education, agriculture, science, art, homemaking, mechanical drawing, publications, and girls' and boys' physical education were completed. The public address system was installed in 1953.
In 1954, grandstands to accommodate 1,554 students were erected on the campus, since there was no auditorium. For safety reasons, these grandstands were dismantled in 1973.
The music building was completed during the summer of 1956. Playcourts for boys and girls were completed during the 1957-58 school year, and in 1961 the 50-meter Olympic swimming pool was completed. A new auto mechanics shop was completed in 1962. Two Quonset huts were also purchased and moved onto campus.
On April 10, 1964, Kaimuki High School dedicated its new gymnasium. In 1983, grade 9 was added to the student body. An auditorium to accommodate 600 students was also built. The performing arts learning center was established in 1987.
Currently Kaimuki High School is one of the six public schools in the Honolulu District.
Student enrollment is approximately 850 students.
It is a comprehensive four-year, co-educational high school accredited by the Western Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges.
Kaimuki draws its students from the feeder schools of Jarrett Intermediate and Washington Intermediate.
Updated October 24, 2012